Vince Luca is a seemingly average 17-year-old boy. He doesn't have many friends and he is insecure about his romantic relationships. The major difference between Vince and other boys his age is the fact that he is a Mob prince as his best friend, Alex, likes to point out. This is a problem for Vince since he is disgusted with the illegal activity his family partakes in. He wants nothing to do with life in the Mafia, yet everything he has in life is supplied for by the Mafia. It seems to be a world he can't escape. This really becomes a problem when he becomes romantically interested in the daughter of the FBI agent who is determined to put his father in prison. Vince is caught between the line of what is ethically right and what is ethically wrong. He is drawn into some illegal activities...
|This section contains 557 words|
(approx. 2 pages at 400 words per page)
View a FREE sample
Son of the Mob is a book written by Canadian author Gordon Korman in 2002. Although the book is relatively easy to read, it is intended for readers 12 years and up. Korman has also written a sequel titled Son of the Mob 2: Hollywood Hustle.
It revolves around Vincent Luca's college experience in California while trying to escape his mafia past in New York. He also meets characters that try to help him along the way including Trey, the son of a congressman, and even his brother Tommy who does more of his work in college than he ever would.
- Vince "Twinkle Toes" Luca: a 17-year-old son of the "Mob boss," determined to remain out of his father's business. Vince doesn't want to be part of his father's job—a wish that is (for the most part) respected. Things get more complicated when he realizes that his new girlfriend, Kendra Bightly, is the daughter of the FBI Agent who is monitoring his dad.
- Anthony Luca: "Honest Abe", the Mob boss of New York City.
- Mrs. Luca: Anthony's wife, a renowned homemaker whose involvement in the family business is unclear.
- The Uncles: various associates of Anthony Luca, these include "Uncle Big-Nose," "Uncle Uncle," "Uncle Pampers" and others.
- Jimmy Rat: a local loser who owes money to Anthony Luca and some of the uncles because he is investing in a restaurant.
- Ed Mishkin: a local businessman.
- Kendra Bightly: Vince's girlfriend and the daughter of the FBI agent whose goal is to arrest Anthony Luca. Reporter for Jefferson
- Alex Tarkanian: Vince's best friend; whiny, annoying, unpopular.
- Ray Francione: an undercover FBI agent in Anthony Luca's Mob. Vince's favorite uncle because he is the only one who understands why Vince does not want to be a part of the Mob.
- Tommy Luca: Vince's Wingman and brother. His goal is to convince Vince to join the "Family Business".
- Angela O' Bannon: Vince's one date at the beginning of the first chapter that didn't go so well.
- Cece: A "phone girl" that Tommy hired for Vince after he had left Jimmy the rat in the trunk of his car when he was on his date with Angela o' Bannon.
Author's Website Jacket Summary & Excerpt Retrieved 17 Jan 2010
Novels by Gordon Korman